Pages

Friday, April 22, 2011

More on Translation and Interpretation

Job’s Wife… was she cursing or blessing? Was she serious or sarcastic?

Song of Songs – I am black and beautiful… I am black but beautiful

Job 13:15…

NIV - Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him; I will surely defend my ways to his face.

RSV – Behold, he will slay me. I have no hope. Yet will I defend my ways to him.

New Living Translation - God might kill me, but I have no other hope. I am going to argue my case with him.

American Standard Version - Behold, he will slay me; I have no hope: Nevertheless I will maintain my ways before him.

New International Reader's Version - Even if God kills me, I'll still put my hope in him. I'll argue my case in front of him.

Good News Translation - I've lost all hope, so what if God kills me? I am going to state my case to him.

GOD’S WORD Translation - If God would kill me, I would have no hope left. Nevertheless, I will defend my behavior to his face.

What is it Job was hoping for? One of the overarching themes of the story… Justice

No comments:

Post a Comment